In this episode, I share how using positive reinforcement for children with autism can help improve problem behavior. Next, we talk about what is different between “reinforcement” (positive) and bribery (negative). Finally, we provide some practical tips on how parents might implement more of these techniques to create better habits around problem behaviors.
Tips for Using Reinforcers
- Choose reinforcers that are highly preferred and motivating to your child.
- The reinforcer must be contingent and delivered quickly and consistently.
- The reinforcer should match the behavior.
- Pair all tangible reinforcers with praise.
- Once success is seen over a period of time begin to fade the reinforcer by delaying delivery and/or the frequency.
It Takes a Village: Get Your Hands Dirty & Build Yours From the Ground Up
Click below to pre-order (if it is before November 1st) or purchase your copy of my first eBook! Make sure to remember after November 1st, to also download the free 21-day Build Your Village challenge! Update May 2021: It Takes a Village is currently under revision and will be available Fall of 2021 through AAPC Publishing.
Click Below to Contact Me!
Click Below to Join the Big Abilities Facebook Group