Amy Nielsen – Blogger, Podcaster, Freelance Writer, Parent Advocate, Early Intervention Specialist
I am a former educator of seventeen years. My educational background includes teaching second grade, elementary media specialist, middle school television production teacher and middle school media specialist.
After my fourth child was diagnosed with ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorder, I left my full-time teaching career so I would have the flexibility to meet the demands of this special parenting role.
Currently, I run the Big Abilities Blog and Podcast. I am also a freelance writer for Playground Magazine , contributing author at The Mighty. author of the book It Takes a Village: Get Your Hands Dirty and Build Yours From the Ground Up and Parent Advocate and Early Intervention Specialist at Collaborative Corner for Exceptional Children.
When I am not busy writing or podcasting, my family and I enjoy traveling, sports, and the wonderful weather in our home state of Florida.
Playground Magazine – Freelance Writer
I write articles for Playground magazine that appeal to Central Florida families covering a broad range of topics from female entrepreneurs to local businesses to personal interest stories.
Partner With me
I’d love to come to your next event, fundraiser or be a guest on your podcast! Here are some topics I can discuss.
- Early signs of Autism Spectrum Disorder and the importance of early intervention
- How families of special needs children can build a support system
- Why funding is so necessary for programs that support autism intervention
- Why it is important to not only focus on children with special needs struggles but also their strengths
- How to find balance in your life when you are the parent of a special needs child
- The importance of self-care for families of special needs children
- How to find not just the right resources but the best resources for children with special needs
- Using Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) strategies at home